25 July 2004

Baby Ford / Shpongle



Baby Ford's Oochy Koochy was one of the first Acid House records I bought. I remember my mate Paul frantically collecting everything he could by them ( but then again he owned every version of every record ever put out by Dalis Car ) and you couldn't help but be influenced by his enthusiasm.

And the weird thing is, despite this coming out in 1987 or 88 or whatever it still sounds really good now when most of the stuff out at the time sounds hopelssly slow and clunky and fullm of annoying piao riffs and generally smacks of people wearing smiley shirts (not t-shirts, shirts, buttons and everything; I could just about handle the t-shirts) and Axl Rose bandanas.

This sounded like the future then and hasn't really been proved wrong.



Baby Ford - Oochy Koochy (FU Baby Yeh Yeah) - this is a remix found on the CD single release.

Also, slightly on this vein (although perhaps a different circulatory system) is

Shpongle - Shpongle Falls

and

Shpongle - Divine Moments of Truth

which fall roughly into the much maligned Psy-Trance bracket (compilations available at £3 for nine CDs + remix extra in all record shops) and have a truly crap name but they remind me a little of the trancier moments from bands like Dreadzone, with a very fluid feel to the music, ever-changing instrumentation ( flutes, bagpipes, sitars etc) and plenty of sampled Terence McKenna-style voices telling us (probably) that we should be better people.

It might be just me - tell me if they're crap and I've missed it; it's better that I know - but I always have a soft spot for this kind of Shamanarchy In The Uk thing, perhaps because it's the sort of thing that used to get played in the Free Raves outside of Glastonbury and is thus associated with beautiful topless hippie chicks swaying their perfectly turned dreadlocks, hips, arses and fiery stick things.

3 comments:

person said...

cool

Psychbloke said...

I'm sure not many people use this forum to make dates with you, but hey, we can push the form to its' limits. How about anytime 13th - 17th August? Sorry you won't get a reply now - leave it with you

I am not Kek-w said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails