22 September 2004

The Legendary Stardust Cowboy

Example


If Arseface from Preacher really lost the plot and started messin' with the good old rockabilly boys he'd sound a little like The Legendary Stardust Cowboy, hereafter known to one and all as 'The Ledge'.


I first heard The Ledge in the tape-player of my Granddad's sky-blue volswagen Beetle at the seafront in some town in Devon which is famous for having a model village. He was mid-way down the roster of a compilation called Rockabilly Psychosis and the Garage Disease

Example
alongside several bands who became my obsessions for that year: The Cramps, The Meteors, Tav Falco, The Gun Club , The Phantom (anyone got anything of his other than the immortal animalism of 'Love me'? I'd love to hear it), The Sonics and so on...

It didn't sound like he was faking psychosis or disease.

For my 13 year old ears it sounded like the music I loved being pulled apart at the seams, music to be dragged behind horses, like rock n roll must sound to people who've just shot themself in the ears.

I hated it, then loved it, then hated it again. Now, I'm just not sure.

It's like rockabilly boiled down to the core: whoops, ape gulps, hiccups and more woo woos than the 5678s. It's old cowboys worshipping the Glitch. The music is de(ar)ranged, poisoned on chicken shit, racked with abuse and the smell of too much smoked bracken.
Paralysed

My Underwear froze to the Clothesline

Down in the wreckin' yard


John Cage tried to distill a burgered up Xanaxed-out distillation of Elvis essence. He did. He did. It's here for y'all to see..

4 comments:

Spoilt Victorian Child said...

Gotta Love The Legendary Stardust Cowboy...
I've got two albums, compilation Live, Interview and studio stuff... a lot recorded in the 80's, some dating back to the 60's... but all good.
If you send me your Address I'll bung em on a cd for you if you like.

Simon
X

mrdantefontana said...

Great post!
And great blog by the way.

Anonymous said...

The Ledge is performing at the Budget Rock Festival in San Francisco at Thee Parkside Oct 3rd, 2004.

http://www.theeparkside.com/events.html

Caught him there a few months ago. Completely out of control!

- sam@sfbg.com

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to roadie for the Legendary Stardust Cowboy and the Altamount boys,
when they played the Hemlock Tavern
in S.F., May 28, '06.
The Ledge was on fire, really on his game that night. As we drove back down to San Jose (Joey Myers was riding with us too) I'll never forget it, the Ledge said," Boy, I felt like a cowboy with two penises up on that stage tonite."
-Andrew Pejack

Related Posts with Thumbnails