30 August 2006

A Happy Angus

I've cursed the below link from KemperNorton, of course... huge amount of shamanic depressive energy going into keeping it closed but one day I'll be ready to explain my sudden disappearance and subsequent re-animation, a trait I'm known for in closed circles and one I'm only now beginning to understand...

Still, have to say that the set by Gruff Rhys was truly magical; never paid the least but of attention to the Super Furry Animals but live and solo Gruff managed a truly alchemical act, spinning huge clouds of toydrones and birdsong and live multi-tracked vocals and guitar work that pulled his light, fluffy songs into dense hybrids. The guy's the coolest man on the planet, clearly and oddly effortless in a way I haven't seen anyone carry off for a long long time...

The songs below don't do justice to his Green Man set at all; they're simply the building blocks, with the architect having left the building but, well, just go and see him live and come back and tell me there's not a supremely odd, happy madness in the way every other song builds on the slightest of elements...

He's like a happy Angus MacLise and he really made me want to go and live in Wales again...

Gruff Rhys - Gwn Mi Wn


Gruff Rhys - Caerffosiaeth


Both Yousendit Angleseasy Rarrebits

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails