02 December 2004

The Fall

Example


Tomorrow, in a gathering of the tribes not seen since local thugs Yeovil Town Domination Crew tore apart the frosty-haired Chard Massive on the steps of the old sloping pitch at Huish, the various members of An Idiot's Guide (except the ever mysterious, perhaps illusory, Kempernorton) will be meeting up for fun and frolics at Bristol Bierkeller to see the unpopular beat combo The Fall. I'm guessing a few other bloggers will be rearing their heads too in the frantic dash to dodge Mark E Smith's kicks and mauls and falling teeth.

I guess I've been to see The Fall more times than any other band, excepting perhaps Orbital and they're never a disappointment; or rather, they're always a disappointment and all the better for it. Not for them the slickly smooth reproduction of the Greatest Hits or the hapless churning of new ones that no one can even pretend to want to hear...The Fall plough their own furrow and remain a constant in amongst the hordes of self-replicating replicants; never yet passing a decent test of humanity (Mark E Smith couldn't even manage a kind word about Peel), never once giving any indication of progression, forward or otherwise.

At times, they've dabbled( Telephone Thing with Coldcut had everyone believing that Mark E would eventually be the Brit Hip Hop that never was) but then they'd about turn and face entirely the wrong way all over again. I mean did anyone seriously think that Mark'd keep up their Brix inspired mid 80s assault on the charts?

Here's a track, they probably won't play it and even if they do I probably won't notice...

The Fall - Green Eyed Loco Man

See you in Bristol guys; I'll be the one with the LOKI badges that look like they were made by a 7 year old (they were)...

4 comments:

Psychbloke said...

Ah...five blogs come together - like one of those massive DC comics crossovers....
Bagsy I get the episode where a minor but much loved character dies......

farmer glitch said...

god help me - my 6 year old Oliver - just thoght that pic of MES was me .... OUCH - and I thought I was looking sort of dapper this morning !!!

Spoilt Victorian Child said...

Can't make it myself.... bugger.
But have a blast.

Simon
x

Jim H said...

Wish I wuz leaving the Capitol, exiting this Roman shell and joining (have joined by now) y'all.

Related Posts with Thumbnails