26 October 2004

John Peel

John Peel has died.

He was undoubtedly the most inspirational DJ in the history of British music, introducing thousands of wide-eyed kids to thousands of wide-eyed kids. It was on Peel's show that I first heard many of my favourite bands and I remember getting my parents to record the show for me when I was too young to be able to stay up and listen (i was cursed with responsible parenting) - every morning I'd get up, turn on my Dad's stereo (this is way before I had my own tape to tape deck) and flick through the show, recording tape after tape of prime indie fodder which would then propel me through the long dark hours of Chemistry homework.

How else would I have ever got to hear The Electro Hippies?

He will be sadly missed throughout the world and my sincere condolences go out to his wife and family.

RIP John. This one's for you.

The Fall - Psychomafia


Note: if you download this and at first it plays at the wrong speed then this is entirely in the spirit of the venture.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails